Indeed, 2024 marks the end of an era for the current generation of the Toyota 4Runner. The next iteration of the 4Runner will undergo a significant transformation, as it transitions to the Land Cruiser J250’s platform. This platform is characterized by a body-on-frame architecture, which Toyota also utilizes for several other vehicles in its lineup, including the Tundra, Tacoma, Sequoia, Land Cruiser 300 series, and the Lexus LX.
The switch to this platform is expected to bring several advantages to the 4Runner, including improved structural rigidity, enhanced off-road capabilities, and potential weight savings. The Land Cruiser J250’s platform is renowned for its durability and suitability for rugged terrains, aligning well with the 4Runner’s reputation as a capable and dependable SUV.
While the transition to a new platform signifies a major shift for the 4Runner, it also represents Toyota’s commitment to maintaining the 4Runner’s status as a formidable off-road vehicle and a versatile SUV. This move will likely bring exciting updates and innovations to the 4Runner, appealing to both existing fans of the model and newcomers seeking adventure-ready vehicles.
As the 2024 4Runner makes its debut on the Land Cruiser J250’s platform, it’s expected to continue its legacy as a reliable, adventure-oriented SUV that can handle a wide range of challenging terrains and driving conditions. Enthusiasts and off-road adventurers can look forward to experiencing the next generation of the 4Runner, which aims to set new standards in its segment.
While the speculative renderings of the all-new 2024 Toyota 4Runner are exciting, it’s important to note that these designs are purely imaginative and not based on actual prototypes. However, several key details and expectations regarding the upcoming 4Runner can be highlighted:
- Platform Transition: The sixth-generation 4Runner is set to undergo a significant platform transition, moving to the TNGA-F platform, which also underpins the Land Cruiser 250 series (Prado). This platform shift is expected to bring improvements in structural rigidity and off-road capabilities.
- Engine Lineup: The new 4Runner is anticipated to feature a variety of powertrain options. A four-cylinder turbocharged engine is expected to serve as the standard powerplant. Additionally, a 2.4-liter turbocharged engine with hybrid assistance may be offered. There’s also speculation about the inclusion of a twin-turbocharged V6 engine, similar to the one found in the Lexus GX 550, which would provide ample power and enhance competitiveness.
- Hybrid Variant: While there’s mention of a hybrid version, it’s important to note that Toyota’s i-FORCE MAX V6 engine hasn’t been used in mid-size applications like the 4Runner. Thus, the hybrid powertrain for the 4Runner may differ from what’s offered in the Lexus GX.
- Manual Transmission: The 2024 4Runner could feature a six-speed manual transmission with active rev matching, in addition to an eight-speed automatic transmission. There’s even speculation about the possibility of a ten-speed automatic transmission, but this would likely depend on the engine lineup.
- Off-Road Capability: The 4Runner is known for its off-road prowess, and the new model is expected to continue this tradition. Four-wheel drive (4WD) should be an available option, offering features like a center locking differential, a two-speed transfer case, Auto LSD, and a rear electronic locking differential to enhance off-road capabilities.
- Price and Trim Levels: The pricing for the 2024 4Runner is estimated to start at approximately $55,000 before options and taxes. It’s expected to offer various trim levels, catering to different preferences and needs.
- Electric Version: While there have been rumors of an electric version of the 4Runner, it’s worth noting that the TNGA-F platform was not designed with all-electric powertrains in mind. Toyota’s CEO, Koji Sato, has indicated plans for more electric vehicles, but an all-electric 4Runner may not be feasible in the near term.
Overall, the 2024 Toyota 4Runner is generating anticipation for its platform shift, potential engine choices, and continued commitment to off-road capabilities. However, enthusiasts and potential buyers will have to wait until the official unveiling, expected no earlier than summer 2024, to get a comprehensive look at the next generation of this iconic SUV.
Table of Contents
|Please Follow us on Social Media|
|Wheelwale Home||Click Here|