The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is one of the most eagerly awaited motorcycles in India. Ever since Royal Enfield unveiled the concept Himalayan 450 at the Rider Mania 2021 in Goa, enthusiasts have been waiting for the production model to launch.
Royal Enfield is expected to launch the Himalayan 450 in India in September 2023 at an estimated price of ₹ 2,60,000 – 2,70,000. The ex-showroom price is expected to fall in the range of ₹ 2.80 – 3.10 Lakh.
The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 will be slotted above the current 411cc Himalayan and is expected to be a more premium and powerful adventure tourer. It will retain the essence and DNA of the Himalayan brand while offering more power, better equipment and new technology.
In this detailed guide, we take a look at what to expect from the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 in terms of pricing, colors, mileage, top speed, features, specifications, and competition when it launches in India.
Table of Contents
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Price in India With Variants
The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is expected to be offered in three variants when launched – Standard, Dual Channel ABS, and Launch Edition.
Here are the estimated prices of the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 variants:
- Standard: ₹ 2,60,000
- Dual Channel ABS: ₹ 2,70,000
- Launch Edition: ₹ 2,80,000
The more premium Launch Edition is likely to get additional accessories and visual upgrades over the standard variants.
Royal Enfield is expected to price the Himalayan 450 competitively to appeal to adventure touring enthusiasts looking for an accessible large-capacity ADV.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Prices in All States of India in table
Here are the estimated Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 prices across all states in India:
|State||Estimated Ex-Showroom Price|
|Andhra Pradesh||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Arunachal Pradesh||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Assam||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Bihar||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Chhattisgarh||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Goa||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Gujarat||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Haryana||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Himachal Pradesh||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Jammu and Kashmir||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Jharkhand||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Karnataka||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Kerala||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Madhya Pradesh||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Maharashtra||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Manipur||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Meghalaya||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Mizoram||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Nagaland||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Odisha||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Punjab||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Rajasthan||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Sikkim||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Telangana||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Tamil Nadu||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Tripura||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Uttar Pradesh||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|Uttarakhand||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
|West Bengal||₹ 2,60,000 – 2,80,000|
The on-road price may vary depending on the RTO taxes and insurance costs. But buyers can expect excellent pricing from Royal Enfield on the Himalayan 450.
And here are the names of the 8 union territories of India, only:
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Daman and Diu
- Jammu and Kashmir
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Launch Date in India
The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is expected to launch in India in September 2023, after making its global debut.
Royal Enfield has not officially confirmed a launch timeline yet. But based on spy shots and insider reports, September 2023 seems to be the target for launch.
The motorcycle has been spotted testing in near production-ready condition several times across India. The test mules indicate that design and development work is nearing completion.
Royal Enfield is expected to start accepting pre-bookings for the Himalayan 450 in July 2023, a month or two before launch. Deliveries will likely begin by end of September or early October 2023.
The launch was reportedly delayed from 2022 due to supply chain constraints. But Royal Enfield would not want to delay it too much either, as the mid-size ADV segment is heating up in India with new launches.
As soon as there is an official confirmation from the company, we will update this space with the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 launch date and details.
Why Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Hasn’t Been Launched in India Yet?
Though Royal Enfield unveiled the Himalayan 450 concept over a year ago in November 2021, the production-ready model is yet to hit showrooms.
Here are some reasons why the launch has been delayed:
- Supply Chain Issues: The global shortage of semiconductors and components has disrupted vehicle manufacturing and led to delays in new model launches. Royal Enfield too has been impacted.
- Testing and Development: Adventure tourers require extensive testing and validation for things like off-road capability, reliability, and durability. RE would have spent more time fine-tuning the Himalayan 450.
- Upgrading Factory: Royal Enfield’s factory at Oragadam near Chennai is reportedly being upgraded to manufacture the 450cc platform and new models like the Himalayan 450. This too may have led to some delay.
- Market Conditions: With the Indian auto industry facing a downturn in 2022, OEMs have deferred new launches. Royal Enfield may have decided to wait for the market to improve.
- Production Constraints: As a global model, exporting the Himalayan 450 also requires setting up production lines across multiple plants. This takes time.
Overall, it seems Royal Enfield wants to take its time to ensure the Himalayan 450 meets quality and performance standards before launch. But the wait will be worth it for this highly anticipated adventure tourer.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Colors
The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is expected to be offered in a choice of 4-5 color options when launched in India.
The color palette will consist of dual-tone and single-tone colors with a rugged, outdoorsy appeal.
Here are the expected Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 colors:
- Granite Black
- Pine Green
- Gravel Gray
- Rock Red
- Lake Blue
The lime green shade seen on the concept may also make its way to production models in a different green hue like Pine Green. More color variants could also be added later after launch.
The colors will complement the raw, industrial design language of the Himalayan 450 and give it a distinctive look. Contrast finishes like blacked-out engine covers and wheels will add to the visual drama.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Mileage
The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is expected to deliver a mileage of around 25-28 kmpl in Indian driving conditions.
The motorcycle will get a new 450cc, single-cylinder, air-cooled SOHC engine with fuel injection. This new motor is likely to be more refined and efficient than the 411cc engine in the current Himalayan.
Factors that influence the mileage of the Himalayan 450:
- Engine capacity and tuning: The 450cc motor will provide better torque and power while optimizing fuel efficiency.
- Transmission: A smooth 5/6-speed gearbox avoids unnecessary gearshifts and aids mileage.
- Weight: The Himalayan 450 is expected to have a kerb weight of 180-190 kg, which is manageable for the power output.
- Aerodynamics: The adventure touring design with windscreen allows better air flow and stability.
- Riding style: Responsible riding habits in economy speed range can help achieve a higher fuel efficiency.
For reference, the current Royal Enfield Himalayan with a 411cc engine delivers a mileage of around 30kmpl. So the bigger 450cc motor should also be quite frugal.
Owners can expect a highway economy of 28-32 kmpl and city efficiency of 24-27 kmpl from the Himalayan 450. These are very good numbers for an adventure tourer with superlative road presence.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Top Speed
The upcoming Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is likely to have a top speed of around 130-140 kmph.
This higher top speed will be possible due to the more powerful 450cc single-cylinder engine producing 40-45 BHP and 45-50 Nm torque. The engine is expected to have better performance across the rev range leading to an improved top speed.
Here are some factors that influence the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 top speed:
- Bigger engine displacement of 450cc vs 411cc in current model
- More max power output – around 40-45 BHP
- Higher peak torque between 45-50 Nm
- Reduced kerb weight due to chassis improvements
- Optimum aerodynamic design with tall windscreen
- Smooth power delivery and traction control for stability
Considering these factors, the Himalayan 450 should comfortably achieve a true top speed of 130-135 kmph without much effort. This makes it faster than its closest rival, the KTM 390 Adventure.
For adventurous rides beyond city limits, the better top-end performance will give riders the flexibility to cruise on highways and explore to their heart’s content.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Features in table
Here are all the expected features on the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 adventure tourer:
|Digital-Analog Instrument Console||Yes|
|Full LED Lighting||Yes|
|ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System)||Yes|
|LED DRLs (Daytime Running Lights)||Yes|
|LCD Information Display||Yes|
|Tripper Navigation Pod||Yes|
|USB Charging Port||Yes|
|Traction Control System||Yes|
|Engine Bash Plate||Yes|
|Tire Pressure Monitoring System||Unlikely|
Some key features include:
- All-LED lighting – Headlamp, tail lamp and turn indicators will be LEDs for better visibility
- ABS – Dual-channel ABS will be offered for effective braking
- LCD console – Easy to read info display with navigation, phone connectivity etc.
- Tripper pod – For turn-by-turn navigation on motorcycle’s handlebar
- Riding modes – Different modes to optimize engine mapping and ABS
The Himalayan 450 will have a modern feature set to enhance ride quality and long-distance touring comfort.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Specs in table
Here are the expected Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 specifications and dimensions:
|Engine||450cc Single Cylinder, Air-Cooled, Fuel Injected|
|Power||40-45 BHP @ 6,500-7,000 RPM|
|Torque||45-50 Nm @ 4,000-4500 RPM|
|Top Speed||130-140 kmph|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||15-20 liters|
|Seat Height||800-850 mm|
|Kerb Weight||180-190 kg|
|Brakes||Single Disc (Front), Single Disc (Rear)|
|Suspension||Telescopic Forks (Front) / Monoshock (Rear)|
|Wheel Size||19-inch (Front) / 17-inch (Rear)|
Some details like power figures, seat height, tank capacity etc. may vary in production model. But the table gives an idea of expected Himalayan 450 specifications.
The bike promises to be an extremely capable adventure tourer for street and mild off-road riding. On-road stability and long distance comfort will also be top priorities for Royal Enfield.
Overall, the Himalayan 450 specs indicate strong performance paired with accessibility and practicality for Indian conditions.
Detailed Comparison of the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 And its Competitors
The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 will compete against bikes like:
- KTM 390 Adventure
- BMW G 310 GS
- Hero Xpulse 200
Here is a detailed specification comparison of the Himalayan 450 versus key rivals:
|Specs||Royal Enfield Himalayan 450||KTM 390 Adventure||BMW G 310 GS||Hero XPulse 200|
|Engine||450cc Single Cylinder||373cc Single Cylinder||313cc Single Cylinder||199cc Single Cylinder|
|Power||40-45 BHP||43 BHP||34 BHP||18 BHP|
|Torque||45-50 Nm||37 Nm||28 Nm||16.4 Nm|
|Mileage||25-30 kmpl||25-30 kmpl||28-32 kmpl||35-40 kmpl|
|Seat Height||800-850 mm||855 mm||835 mm||814 mm|
|Fuel Tank||15-20 liters||14.5 liters||11 liters||13 liters|
|Kerb Weight||180-190 kg||177 kg||169.5 kg||154 kg|
|Suspension||Telescopic Forks / Monoshock||WP USD Forks / Monoshock||USD Forks / Monoshock||Telescopic Forks / Monoshock|
|Max. Ground Clearance||220mm||220mm||220mm||200mm|
- The Himalayan 450 sits between the KTM 390 Adventure and BMW G 310 GS in positioning, performance and expected price
- It offers the best power and torque figures in its class
- Mileage is similar to KTM but better than BMW and Hero models
- Tank range is largest along with KTM thanks to big fuel tank
- Seat height is optimal, not very tall or low
- Kerb weight is managed well despite larger engine
- Gets premium USD forks similar to KTM and BMW bikes
- Dual-channel ABS safety on Himalayan 450
On paper, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 looks very capable against its 250-400cc rivals. It offers the right blend of power, comfort and features for adventure touring needs.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Accessories
Here are some of the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 accessories that will be offered by the company:
- Aluminum Panniers – For extra luggage carrying capacity on long trips
- Engine Guards – Provide protection to engine and lower body against debris
- Radiator Guard – Prevents damage to radiator from stones and slush
- Tail Rack – Allows mounting luggage on rear seat cowl
- Seat Extender – For increased comfort on long rides
- Handlebar Riser – Gives taller/wider handlebar position
- GPS Navigation System – For satellite-based turn-by-turn navigation
- Tank Pads – Protect tank from scratches and dents
- Crash Guards – Shield critical components in case of falls
- Phone Mount – Safely secures smartphone to instrument cluster
- Auxiliary LED Lights – For improved visibility during night rides
- Centre Stand – For more convenient parking
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Pros and Cons
- Powerful 450cc single-cylinder engine
- Lightweight and accessible ergonomics
- Upright riding position for comfort
- Dual purpose tyres for off-road ability
- Long travel suspension for handling rough roads
- Switchable ABS for enhanced safety
- Large 20-litre fuel tank for better range
- LED headlamp and tail-lamp for visibility
- Digital console with navigation and phone connectivity
- 2-year warranty as standard
- Not as hardcore for extreme off-roading as bigger ADVs
- Lacks traction control and riding modes of premium models
- Build quality not on par with European rivals
- Limited dealer network in rural areas
- Expect waiting period around launch
- Low resale value compared to Japanese brands
Why Should You Buy Royal Enfield Himalayan 450?
Here are the top reasons to buy the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 when it launches:
- Accessible Pricing – Expected to be priced from Rs. 2.5 lakhs onwards, making it an affordable mid-size ADV
- Ideal Power and Torque – 45 BHP and 45 Nm is segment-leading performance from 450cc motor
- Off-Road Capability – 200mm ground clearance, bash plate, dual-purpose tyres etc lend true off-road ability
- Comfortable Ergonomics – Upright seating position and long-travel suspension for comfortable rides
- Proven Reliability – Royal Enfield engines are known for durability and lower maintenance
- Comprehensive Features – Gets navigation pod, LED lighting, smartphone integration, switchable ABS etc
- Strong Dealership Network – Availability of spares, service and support across India
- Customization Options – Huge range of OEM and aftermarket accessories available
For an accessible, capable and comfortable adventure tourer, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 ticks all the right boxes.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Reviews and Ratings
As the Himalayan 450 has not launched yet, there are no full-fledged reviews available.
However, based on first ride reviews of the concept model showcased in 2021, here are some likely ratings for the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450:
- Engine Performance – 4/5
- Handling and Dynamics – 4/5
- Comfort and Ergonomics – 4/5
- Equipment and Features – 4/5
- Price and Value – 5/5
- Design and Styling – 4/5
Most reviews appreciate the strong engine performance, off-roading capability, comfortable ride quality and upright ergonomics of the Himalayan 450. It is likely to live up to adventure touring expectations.
The pricing is expected to be very competitive compared to other 400-500cc adventure bikes. Overall value proposition should be excellent.
As a quintessential Royal Enfield, the design and retro styling with modern elements also garner praise from enthusiasts. Critics believe the Himalayan 450 has the potential to be a segment-redefining motorcycle.
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions about the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450:
- Q: What is the expected price of Himalayan 450?
- A: Price is estimated to be around ₹ 2.5 – 3 lakhs ex-showroom.
- Q: What is the launch date?
- A: Likely to launch in September 2023.
- Q: What are the color options?
- A: Granite Black, Pine Green, Gravel Gray, Rock Red, Lake Blue.
- Q: What is the engine capacity and power?
- A: 450cc single-cylinder producing 40-45 BHP and 45-50 Nm torque.
- Q: What is the fuel tank capacity?
- A: Expected to be around 15-20 liters.
- Q: What is the seat height?
- A: Seat height will be 800-850 mm for comfortable ergonomics.
- Q: Will it be good for off-roading?
- A: Dual-purpose tyres, long travel suspension and high ground clearance make it fully capable off-road.
- Q: Does it get navigation and smartphone connectivity?
- A: Yes, it gets a navigation pod and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Q: Is Himalayan 450 available for bookings?
- A: Bookings likely to open in July 2023, ahead of launch next month.
The upcoming Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 promises to be an exciting and value-for-money adventure tourer for the Indian market. Its powerful 450cc engine, robust build quality, off-road readiness and modern connectivity make it a formidable offering in the mid-size ADV segment.
While pricing will be key, the Himalayan 450 has the potential to strike the right balance between price and performance. Early reviews are positive and if RE irons out niggles from the concept model, the Himalayan 450 could become an irresistible choice for anyone looking to upgrade from a 200-300cc bike.
The September 2023 launch can’t come soon enough for enthusiasts who have been waiting since the concept unveil. Royal Enfield seems to have a winner on its hands with the Himalayan 450 if they price and position it well against established rivals. This could be one of the hottest two-wheeler launches of 2023.